Saturday, September 15, 2007

kudzu brownies (Betty Crocker Fudge Brownies)















The leaves above are Japanese maple leaves for decoration and one kudzu leaf for decoration, and then kudzu for ingredient. I am having fun with all the illegal people out there! Instead of getting high, you can detox with a sense of humor!

Kudzu can be eaten raw if you take the leaf off the veins and chew it. The US Dept. of Agriculture says it has twice the protein that alfalfa has and is high in nutrition. You can use the veins as dental floss.

I don't recommend this for weight loss. To add nutrition and fiber to brownies, and have a lot of fun and give people a topic of conversation at any shindig, add one cup of strained kudzu with no additional liquid, unless you want to substitute kudzu juice (see other recipe) for the water shown in the last picture. Directions on the box.

This is a much more moist brownie than usual, and may need more cooking time. I used two boxes because I don't have smaller containers, yet.

As long as the leaf is pretty, I use it. When the fibers are in short pieces, they do not detract from the brownies, or salmon or wrap fillings. I cut the veins to make sure the fibers are short with scissors or a knife. I talked to William Shurtleff Oct. 2, and he thought I used just tender tiny leaves. More nutrition is in dark vegetables!

No comments: